Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue units were sent to 304 Carolina Circle north of Walterboro, Wednesday morning 16-November at 03:02. Engine 19 arrived to find a single-story residential dwelling with flames visible from the roof. All occupants had safely exited the structure. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed multiple handlines to combat the fire which was burning throughout the attic. Crews pulled the ceilings in several rooms to reach the flames. It appeared the fire originated in the chimney and spread to the attic. The electrical service line burned through and fell from the home. When the power went off, the occupants were awakened and discovered the fire which had already burned through a portion of the roof and they alerted 9-1-1.
Firefighters worked for about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control, but were on the scene for three hours. Most of the fire damage was contained to the attic and roof, however the remainder of the home suffered water and smoke damage. Many personal items were saved. Water supply was handled with Tenders.
Engine 19, Engine 26, Tender 1, Tender 5, Tender 19, Tender 26, Medic 1, Medic 19, Medic 26, Battalion 1, Car 12, Car 107, Car 110 and Car 118 responded. Battalion Chief Scott O’Quinn served as Incident Commander.
Barry W. McRoy, Fire Chief, Colleton County Fire-Rescue