Images from Josh Boyajian of a Still & Box Alarm fire in Chicago at 23rd & Lawndale on Wednesday, January 29, 2014.
1-21-14 – Chicago companies were dispatched to a working fire in the 6500 blk of south Green. I was sitting at 47th and Halsted when this came in. As soon as they dispatched the companies, you could see the header. Engine 47 arrived and lead out a line to the second floor. Truck Co. 18 had the main to the roof and cut a few holes. Fire was knocked pretty quick. Here are my pictures.
Steve Redick and Dan Shevlin took in a 2-11 Alarm fire sunday night at 5601 W Irving Park in Chicago, having to contend with blowing snow and blistery cold conditions.
This was January 26, 5601 Irving park Rd. We were headed for extreme sub zero cold and high winds, the temps were single digits and falling, and the wind was kicking up as the fire progressed. The fire apparently originated in the first floor Mexican restaurant, and spread rapidly through the building and into the cockloft. As I was on the way I heard the roof guys report fire and smoke from the vent holes and that was pretty early in the job.
Photography was challenging as when I arrived there were some pretty good snow conditions, so most of the images had to be available light. The sodium vapor streetlamps were plenty bright but color correcting all the images was quite the chore. Overall I was happy with many of the images, and I always like gritty bad weather type operations.
From the Chicago Tribune:
An extra-alarm fire in Portage Park left two people injured Sunday night.
The fire started after 8 p.m. in a restaurant on the first floor of a two-story building that has apartments on the second floor. Crews remained at the scene until after 11 p.m.
The two people injured suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to Our Lady of the Resurrection Hospital from the fire, at the corner of Central Avenue and Irving Park Road.
Police said the building was a total loss and everyone who lived there went to stay with relatives.
No firefighters were injured.
More images from Dan Shevlin
On January 13th around 1630 hrs, Lawrence firefighters were dispatched to the Merrimack Paper Mill at South Canal and Merrimack St. On arrival of Ladder 4, heavy smoke was showing from the abandoned mill that is 150 x 100 and two-stories. Deputy Chief (Car 21) ordered the companies to stay out of the mill due to the possibility of hazardous materials that might be inside. The 3rd alarm was struck at 1643 hrs bringing in mutual aid to the city from many area departments.
With fire increasing very rapidly, the 4th and 5th alarms were out by 1730 hrs. Approximately 100 firefighters fought this blaze well into the evening. A few companies remained overnight. Around 1800 hrs, Worcester’s Box Special Services Canteen was called to the scene to provide rehab support to the firefighters working the blaze.
Local officials reported to the media that the 19th Century mill building had support timbers that absorbed machine oil and chemicals over many years.
The mill was in the process of being rebuilt, but financial difficulties have impeded the progress. News reports say the city is owed more than $4 million in back taxes. There have been numerous fires in this building over the years. The fire remains under investigation by local and state authorities.
6 Alarms Lawrence Ma – Paper Mill January 13th. The fire was at the Merrimac paper Co.
There were reports of an 800-pound oxygen tank in this abandoned 200,000 square-foot building. It has been vacant for over a decade.
There have been several fires at the building over the years, including a 3-alarm fire on Nov. 7, 2009.
Kitchener dispatch received a 911 January 21 22:00 from 172 Veronica Ave reporting flames encroaching her house from next door. While trucks were en-route to the fire PC asked dispatch if they had any more calls. Dispatch replied they had only had one call. P4 reported smoke visible from half a mile from the call. An additional pumper was added as the RIT team. P4 arrived on scene reported a working fire, asked A4 to lay into them, and for P3 to also catch a second hydrant. P4 captain could not access the rear due to a six foot wooden fence.
R1 was assigned to get to the rear to complete the 360. Crews advanced a 1.5” line in the front door but backed out less than a minute later due to high heat. R1 found a resident of the house in a hot tub in the rear of the structure. The individual was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital for further mental health evaluation. Firefighting was defensive until the bulk of fire could be knocked down. This was a very cold night, wind chill dropped the temperature to -22 F. Fire was knocked down in one hour, damage was pegged at $400,000. Siding was melted off 172 Veronica, but there was no extension into the house. Six of the seven Kitchener stations responded to the call rotating crews back to their stations to warm up.
The Box 690 Rehab Unit gave out lots of Hot Shot hand warmers on the night. It was so cold I took a few of the later photos through the window of the Rescue. I was handing out drinks from the rear of R1, had to keep them in the truck or they would be too cold for the guys. The back of our truck was only 56 F, couldn’t get anymore heat out of the truck. It actually felt warm in there and glasses would fog up on entry.
As of 1PM (Sunday), the Lynwood (IL) Fire Department (along the Indiana border) is working a 2nd Alarm for the fully involved house fire at 3039 196th Street. Tim Olk is at the scene and submitted these images from his phone.