Waterloo (ON) firefighters were dispatched to a 4” gas main that had been hit by a back hoe, June 12, 9:10 am, at King St North, and Hickory Street. P1, A1, P3, and Car 23 responded to the call. Firefighters evacuated area businesses and homes and had both universities tweet out warnings to students to stay clear of the area. Area schools were also asked to advise students to avoid the area.
Union gas was called to shut the gas down. They had difficulty accessing shut offs, and had one valve that malfunctioned. Union Gas advised command that they were going to have to dig up the road in a number of areas to access the main line as well as four other lines that were feeding it.
Box 690 responded to the call on this information as the temperature with the humidex factored in was 100 Fahrenheit. Command advised to set up rehab one block north of the leak. Photos and short video shot an hour into the call.
Waterloo Ontario Fire was dispatched to 532-A Brookhaven Crescent for a smoke detector sounding in the basement and a light haze of smoke, February 10, 2017 at 15:05. P3 firefighters masked up and entered the unit while the P3 captain completed a 360. Interior firefighters reported light smoke in the basement but had no visible source for the smoke. P3 captain quickly reported heavy fire in the rear of the adjoining unit. Firefighters pulled two lines into the unit from the rear and the front of the house. Interior firefighters reported they had a spongy floor and visible fire coming up from the basement. Command pulled the firefighters from the floor and had the fire attacked from the rear through a basement door. The fire was knocked down in 25 minutes, with overhaul taking another hour before the fire was totally out. Photos were taken during overhaul, video was shot approximately 20 minutes into the fire. Box 690 provided rehab.