house fire in rural South Carolina

All posts tagged house fire in rural South Carolina

A Ruffin family was displaced following an afternoon fire that destroyed half of their home Wednesday, 27-September. At 17:05, Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue was notified of the incident when a neighbor noticed flames coming from the roof of the home at 413 Double Churches Road. Engine 18 arrived minutes later to find heavy fire conditions on the west side of the single-story, residential dwelling. The roof over the garage had already collapsed.

Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two 1-3/4 handlines and forced entry through the front door. Crews made an aggressive interior attack and stopped the spread of the fire approximately half the way through the residence. The fire was under control within 25 minutes.

A search of the building found no occupants, however two canines perished in the fire. Firefighters buried the animals for the homeowner. The fire appears to have started in the area of the electrical panel in the garage. It moved into the attic from the garage. Firefighters stopped the fire approximately midway through the home, saving the rooms on the east side of the structure and some personal items. The remainder of the home suffered smoke, heat and water damage. Water supply was handled with a water shuttle using tenders. Fire units were on the scene for four hours.

Engine 18, Engine 26, Tender 4, Tender 7, Tender 18, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 18, Medic 26, Battalion 1, Car 105, Car 112 and Car 119 responded. Battalion Chief Brent Dalton served as Incident Commander.

Barry McRoy

Colleton County fire truck on scene

Barry McRoy photo

Firefighters overhaul after a house fire

Barry McRoy photo

Firefighters overhaul after a house fire

Barry McRoy photo

Firefighters overhaul after a house fire

Barry McRoy photo

Colleton County fire trucks on scene

Barry McRoy photo

Firefighters overhaul after a house fire

Harold Buzzell photo

A Ruffin (SC) family of six was displaced following a structure fire at 7434 Ruffin Road Friday evening 24-March at 22:20. The family advised they smelled smoke earlier before discovering flames coming from the roof and front porch. Colleton County Fire-Rescue Engine 18 arrived to find the single-story, wood-frame structure well involved with flames coming from the roof at the front and rear of the building and from several windows. All six occupants, two adults and four children, escaped without injury. Two canines perished in the fire.

Firefighters used a deck gun and deployed two 1-3/4 handlines. They had the fire under control within 25 minutes, but were on scene performing overhaul for four hours. The home suffered extensive damage and the family lost most belongings. Water supply was handled with a tender shuttle. The fire appears to have started in electrical wiring in the area of the attic near the front porch. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Engine 10, Engine 18, Tender 4, Tender 15, Tender 18, Tender 23, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 18, Medic 26, Rescue 1, Squad 23, Battalion 1, Car 27, and Car 109 responded. Battalion Chief Brent Dalton served as incident commander.

Barry W. McRoy, Fire Chief, Colleton County Fire-Rescue

firefighter battles fire at rural house at night

Barry W. McRoy photo

fire engulfs rural house at night

Barry W. McRoy photo

firefighters approach as fire engulfs rural house at night

Barry W. McRoy photo

firefighters with hose battle fire

Barry W. McRoy photo

heavy flames through roof of rural house at night

Barry W. McRoy photo

SCBA bottles lined up at fire scene

Barry W. McRoy photo

firefighters with hose inside burned out house

Barry W. McRoy photo

A Walterboro (SC) family was displaced following a structure fire at 212 Brights Court Monday afternoon, 30-January at 17:36. Callers to 9-1-1 reported the fire started in the area of the kitchen and then spread with smoke and flames reported to be coming from the attic.

Car 107 arrived to find heavy smoke conditions from all sides of the approx. 4000 sq ft home with flames visible from the south end of the building. Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue Engine 1 arrived and deployed two 1-3/4 handlines and used the deck gun in an effort to knock down the flames. As firefighters made entry through the front door, the roof erupted in flames along the ridge vent extending across the structure. Crews attempted an interior attack, but were evacuated from the building a short time later.

A second alarm was requested shortly after arrival as firefighters performed a defensive attack from outside the building. A charged power line fell from the building minutes after arrival blocking access to the rear of the south end of the structure. An additional 1-3/4 and one 2-1/2 handline were deployed.

Water supply was handled with a tender shuttle. A third alarm was issued for manpower 50 minutes into the incident. Crews worked for nearly 1-1/2 hours to gain control of the fire which extended throughout the common attic and damaged most rooms in the residence. The home suffered substantial damage. The fire appears to have started in the breaker box behind the kitchen and extended into the attic. The home had several additions. Fire units were on the scene for seven hours. No injuries were reported during the incident. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Engine 1, Engine 9, Tender 1, Tender 2, Tender 6, Tender 19, Tender 22, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 1, Medic 6, Medic 13, Medic 19, Car 107, Car 109, Car 118, and Car 119 were at the scene. Assistant Chief Marty Stallings served as Incident Commander.

Barry W. McRoy, Fire Chief, Colleton County Fire-Rescue

fire department water tender dumps into portable tank with house on fire

Barry W. McRoy photo

Colleton County SC firefighters at work

Barry W. McRoy photo

firefighter with PPE exiting burning building

Harold Buzzell photo

firefighters battle house fire with heavy flames

Barry W. McRoy photo

fire department water tender dumps into portable tank with house on fire

Barry W. McRoy photo

fire department water tender dumps into portable tank

Barry W. McRoy photo

firefighters with hose line in garage

Harold Buzzell photo