An Islandton, SC home was heavily damaged in an afternoon fire in the 100 block of Cayman Lane Friday afternoon 06-December. At 14:08, the occupant was asleep and was awakened by smoke in the home. Upon investigation, he found a large fire in the kitchen. The man was able to escape without injury and called 9-1-1. Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue Engine 15 arrived a short time later to find the home approximately 50% involved with heavy fire conditions at the rear of the one-story, wood frame residence.
Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two handlines to the building. Crews had the fire knocked down within 15 minutes leaving about half the building still standing, however the interior suffered extensive damage. Most personal items were destroyed. Fire units were on the scene for 2-1/2 hours performing overhaul. The fire appears to have been electrical in nature and started near the electrical service and breaker box at the rear of the home before spreading into the attic. Water supply was conducted with tenders. The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Engine 15, Engine 18, Tender 4, Tender 15, Tender 18, Tender 27, Tender 29, Medic 1, Medic 13, Medic 18, Battalion 1, Car 112, Car 118, and Car 119 responded. Captain Matt Owens Williams, Jr. served as Incident Commander.
Barry W. McRoy – Fire Chief – Colleton County Fire-Rescue