A Ruffin family was displaced following an afternoon fire that destroyed half of their home Wednesday, 27-September. At 17:05, Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue was notified of the incident when a neighbor noticed flames coming from the roof of the home at 413 Double Churches Road. Engine 18 arrived minutes later to find heavy fire conditions on the west side of the single-story, residential dwelling. The roof over the garage had already collapsed.
Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two 1-3/4 handlines and forced entry through the front door. Crews made an aggressive interior attack and stopped the spread of the fire approximately half the way through the residence. The fire was under control within 25 minutes.
A search of the building found no occupants, however two canines perished in the fire. Firefighters buried the animals for the homeowner. The fire appears to have started in the area of the electrical panel in the garage. It moved into the attic from the garage. Firefighters stopped the fire approximately midway through the home, saving the rooms on the east side of the structure and some personal items. The remainder of the home suffered smoke, heat and water damage. Water supply was handled with a water shuttle using tenders. Fire units were on the scene for four hours.
Engine 18, Engine 26, Tender 4, Tender 7, Tender 18, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 18, Medic 26, Battalion 1, Car 105, Car 112 and Car 119 responded. Battalion Chief Brent Dalton served as Incident Commander.
On Friday, November 25, Chicago had a working fire at 2528 N. Fairfield. The fire was rather small in terms of the time it took for it to be considered out but I did arrive in time for some interesting overhaul shots. There were no front stairs and ladders had to be placed at the doors in order to access the front hallways. The fire appeared to be mostly in the front living room, right at the window but resulted in some hidden fire extending into the wall above the front doors. Accessing this fire was a little difficult due to its location over the area where the stairs were missing. Eric Haak
An adult female was injured as she narrowly escaped a structure fire Tuesday morning 01-November. At 09:05, Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue was alerted for smoke coming from a home at 14436 Lowcountry Hwy. south of Ruffin. Engine 18 arrived to find heavy smoke conditions and flames visible from the south side of the single-story residential structure. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two handlines and forced entry through the front door. They made an aggressive interior attack stopping the flames from reaching the north end of the building. The kitchen, utility room, and dining room suffered heavy fire damage, with the remainder of the home receiving smoke damage.
The homeowner, who works nights, had placed a load of clothes in the dryer before going to sleep. She was awakened by a popping noise and thick smoke. Being unable to escape through the hall, she was able to jump from a window in the bedroom. During the escape, the woman received a broken arm. No one else was at the home when the fire occurred and there were no working smoke detectors in the residence.
The fire started in the area of the clothes dryer which was located just off of the kitchen. The fire spread through the kitchen into the attic and under the floor. Firefighters used a chainsaw to cut some of the kitchen floor to reach the fire under the building. The woman was treated at the scene, then transported to Colleton Medical Center by Fire-Rescue Medic 13. Fire units were on the scene for four hours. Water supply was conducted with tenders.
Engine 4, Engine 10, Engine 15, Engine 18, Tender 4, Tender 13, Tender 15, Tender 18, Tender 90, Medic 13, Medic 18, Battalion 1 and Car 107 responded. Asst. Chief Marty Stallings served as Incident Commander.
Barry W. McRoy, Fire Chief, Colleton County Fire-Rescue