3/3/18 OSWEGO – General Alarm House Fire 400 Block of Bluegrass Pkwy. – The Oswego Fire Protection District was dispatched at 11:24 AM to a reported house fire in the 400 block of Bluegrass Parkway in the Churchill Club subdivision. On arrival, firefighters located heavy fire in the walk-out style basement with extension to the first floor and attic space. An interior attack was made to extinguish the fire. According to the Oswego FPD, a dog was rescued on the second floor and an occupant was injured while trying to extinguish the fire before exiting the residence. Damage is estimated to be around $450,000. The cause of the fire was listed as improperly discarded smoking materials. The Oswego FPD was assisted by the Montgomery FPD, Aurora FD, Aurora Township FPD, and Plainfield FPD.
Video by Dave Weaver
Des Plaines (IL) firefighters responded to a fire at Maine Scrap Metals at 1274 Rand Road just after 11PM on Wednesday (1/10/18). They arrived and had fire inside the building and upgraded the alarm to a working fire. Within minutes they were defensive with flames through the roof and a compromised exterior wall. The alarm was upgraded to a MABAS Box Alarm as master streams were put into operation. Eventually four elevated streams were deployed from Des Plaines Tower 61, Des Plaines Tower 63, Niles Truck 2, and Chicago Squad 7A.
After the bulk of the fire was out and access to the smoldering fire was difficult due to the roof collapse, a front end loader was brought in to knock down the remains of the D-Sector wall which bordered a limousine company.
more at Chicagoareafire.com and HERE
St Clements and Linwood ON firefighters were toned out at 2:58 for a barn fire at 3649 Hessen Strasse, January 7, 2018. The St Clements district chief could see a glow from the fire and requested a full turnout from Wellesley. St Clements P2 arrived on scene to a very large barn with multiple exposures and silos. P2 set up in the laneway to the farm and pulled multiple lines to protect exposures. Water was shuttled to the fire from a fire department reservoir up the road and from a hydrant in St Clements approximately 1.5 miles from the fire. Firefighters were able to save a small attached building and all other out buildings on the property. The temperature started around -11 F and only warmed up a few degrees later in the morning. The farmer lost some livestock, but was able to get most of his cattle from the barn. Pictures taken 25 minutes into the fire. Box 690 provided rehab for four hours.
Gary Dinkel, Box 690
Des Plaines (IL) firefighters were called to 1108 E. Oakton this afternoon (12/29/17) for a fire in the Car-X Muffler shop, half a mile from Des Plaines Station 62. Upon arrival Engine 62 reported a fire and initiated an interior attack. The size up reported fire visible from two sides and through the roof very shortly thereafter. Companies were soon ordered out of the building to initiate an exterior attack. Both Des Plaines tower ladders were put to work as the incident was upgraded to a working fire.
The B-sector wall failed within minutes and portions of the roof went with it. A MABAS Box Alarm was requested bringing additional resources to the scene. Park Ridge Tower Ladder 36 was sent to the rear for a third elevated master stream supplied by a Rosemont engine.