Posted in: FIre Scene photos, NEW. Tagged: barn fire in North Dumfries Township, Box 690 Rehab Unit, Cambridge Fire Department, excavator tears down vacant house after fire, fire department tanker shuttle, fire engines draft from portable tanks, fire engines in Canada, fire scene in Canada, fire trucks at winter fire scene, fire trucks in Canada, firemen at winter fire scene, firemen shuttle water to fight barn fire, Freightliner fire engine, Gary Dinkel, portable water tank on the ground, rural water supply at building fire, tender shuttle deployed to fight rural fire. Leave a Comment
Kitchener fire dispatch received a 911 call reporting a barn on fire on Shantz Station Road near Vance Road in Woolwich Township, Ontario, March 2 2016 at 12:30. Breslau, Maryhill, Conestogo, and St Jacobs were dispatched to the call. Dispatch updated units on route that they had a call from the Regional Airport tower, located just west of the scene, reporting a barn and possibly house on fire.
Maryhill district chief reported a large loom up on the way to the call and requested Elmira’s tanker to the scene. Breslau’s pumper tanker arrived on scene reporting a fully involved building with a small barn and house as serious exposures. Firefighters pulled numerous 1.5” and a 2.5” lines to fight the fire and protect exposures. Maryhill’s pumper set up on the road for tanker operations and relay pumping to Breslau’s pumper.
The house caught fire due to radiant heat, but crews were able to knock it down quickly. More than 30 firefighters worked for two hours before knocking the fire down. Woolwich firefighters made a very good save at this fire. The barn had minimal damage, and the rear section of the home can be repaired. The main section of the century old home was saved with no damage. Box 690 provided rehab for the call. The first photo was shot before crews pulled their first line.
Gary Dinkel, Box 690
June 3, 2015 7:19 pm all three Wellesley Township stations responded to a shop fire at Mennonite farm on Road 116. Mutual Aid was requested from the Shakespeare Fire Department in Perth County. The fire was knocked down in 30 minutes. Water was shuttled from a cistern approximately 1.5 miles from the scene. Box 690 provided rehab for the call. The location of the fire is the longest run for the canteen, approximately 22 miles from the hall.
Montgomery County, NIST, Howard County, Carroll County, and Frederick County units responded to a 50+ acre brush and woods fire on Tuesday (3/31/15) near Damascus Road in Laytonsville, MD. Wind hampered initial efforts to contain the blaze, but firefighters worked hard to gain control and surround the fire preventing it from spreading further. Multiple brush trucks, engine tankers, large capacity tankers, and assorted other apparatus including forestry trucks and tractors worked in tandem on the scene. Company 717 (Laytonsville) worked all of their first line units on the fireground. Fill & dump sites for tankers were established and the brush units filled up at these water supply areas, and then proceeded into the fire zone.
Here are some photos I took from the Halterman Road water supply zone, established in a neighboring farm/cornfield, adjacent to the fire zone.
A Ruffin South Carolina family of seven, narrowly escaped an early morning house fire at 90 Blaine Court Friday 02-Janaury. At 02:54, 9-1-1 received the first report of the fire. The adult female advised one of the children in the home awakened her noting the house was on fire. She immediately discovered smoke in the residence and found a fire in the wall behind a television set in a small bedroom. She got everyone out of the house, went across the street to a neighbor’s home and called 9-1-1. Colleton County (SC) Engine 18 arrived minutes later to find the singlewide mobile home well involved. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed multiple handlines to extinguish the fire. They had the bulk of the flames knocked down within 15 minutes, but were on the scene performing overhaul for a little over two and half hours. The home was gutted and the family lost everything inside.
Fire-Rescue Medic 18 transported the woman and an 11 month old female to Colleton Medical Center. Firefighter-Paramedics treated them for smoke inhalation. The other four children and an adult male who was also in the residence were not injured and did not require medical attention. The home did not have smoke detectors. Fire investigators determined the fire started in an electrical outlet in one of the bedrooms. It rapidly spread through the singlewide mobile home from there. Water supply was provided with a tender shuttle. The Charleston Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.
Engine 18, Engine 26, Tender 4, Tender 13, Tender 18, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 18, Medic 26, Battalion 1, Car 12 and Car 117 responded. Battalion Chief Dan Barb served as incident commander.
Barry W. McRoy, Fire Chief, Colleton County Fire-Rescue