Crews were fighting a fire at the Marathon County Landfill in the town of Ringle (WI) Sunday early evening. They were actively fighting a fire in the landfill itself.
Wittenburg, City of Wausau tender (tanker), Birnamwood, Maine, Edgar, Kronenwettter, Ringle, Easton, SAFER, and Hatley fire departments responded to the call. The Salvation Army was also on scene assisting with water for the emergency personnel.
Ringle Fire Chief Chris Kielman told reporters the fire department has responded multiple times to the landfill, though not recently. Chief Kielman said when units arrived on scene the fire was approx. 100 x 100. No injuries were reported.
Marathon County Solid Waste Department Director Meleesa Johnson said no cause will be determined, but speculation was hot coals from a grill or cellphone batteries. Johnson said that just because a battery is not able to power a cell phone, “juice” is still enough to get hot from the sun and start a fire. Johnson had her crews spreading trash away as fire fighters sprayed the area down with water. No equipment was damaged and Johnson thanked everyone who called in to report the smoke because with out them it could have been a lot worse, not only to the landfill but the neighboring area.